Corporation Tax

Company Tax Return

Navigate the complexities of Corporation Tax with precision and confidence. Our expert team ensures your business complies with UK tax regulations and benefits from every available relief to minimise your tax bill.

Filing a Corporation Tax Return is a crucial responsibility for every limited company in the UK and foreign company with a UK branch or office. This involves accurately reporting the company’s income, expenses, and allowances to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) to calculate the correct amount of Corporation Tax owed. Non-compliance or inaccuracies can result in significant fines and potential legal challenges from HMRC. Our service provides comprehensive assistance to ensure your Corporation Tax Return is filed correctly and on time. We specialise in simplifying the complex process of preparing and submitting tax returns, making it accessible for businesses of all sizes.

Every company subject to Corporation Tax must register with HMRC, file their tax return annually, and pay any tax due within the stipulated deadlines. Our service is invaluable for businesses looking to navigate the intricacies of tax legislation, as we ensure they benefit from any available tax reliefs and deductions. We provide expert guidance on Corporation Tax, from calculating taxable profits to reporting and payment. By leveraging our expertise, you can avoid common pitfalls, late filing penalties, minimise tax liability, and fully comply with UK tax laws.

Frequently Asked Questions

When do I need to register my company for corporation tax?

You must register your company for Corporation Tax with HMRC within three months of commencing business operations. You can do this online or by calling HMRC at 0300 200 3410. If you have no intention of engaging in any trading activities, whether soon or at all, it is essential to inform HMRC that your company is dormant. You won’t need to register for tax at this point.

The deadline for filing a corporation tax return (CT600) in the UK is twelve months after the end of the accounting period it covers. However, it's important to note that the payment of any Corporation Tax owed is due earlier, usually nine months and one day after the end of the accounting period. While you have a full year to file the return, any tax due must be paid before the filing deadline to avoid penalties.
Directors have a legal obligation to file and pay corporation tax and ensure the accuracy of the tax returns. Directors must ensure that their corporation complies with tax laws, accurately reports its income, and pays the appropriate amount of tax by the designated deadlines. Failure to do so can result in penalties, interest charges, and legal repercussions for the company and its directors.

There are three ways to pay corporation tax:

  • Bank transfer: Account Name: HMRC Cumbernauld, Sort Code: 083210, Account No: 12001039
  • By credit or debit card,  Corporation Tax Payment Link​
  • By telephone: 0300 200 3841

You will need the payment reference number, which you can find in a letter from the HMRC corporation tax department. Alternatively, you can find it from the company’s online gateway account.

If you fail to submit your corporation tax return by the deadline, HMRC will issue a late filing penalty of £100.00. You must submit your corporation tax return within three months of receiving the penalty notice to avoid further penalties.

Once you have filed your corporation tax return, you or your accountant may file an appeal against the late filing penalty. If you can demonstrate to HMRC that you had a reasonable excuse for not submitting your corporation tax return on time, HMRC may waive the late filing penalty.

If your company is not generating any income and has stopped trading, you can inform HMRC that it is dormant. This will exempt you from filing corporate tax returns or paying corporation tax. Regardless of whether your company generates any income, you must submit annual accounts and a confirmation statement to Companies House.